A spot for all of our adventures - with travel, with food, with life.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Memories....


Hockey... ah that time of year.

As Ottawa goes up 3-0 in the Eastern Conference Final Series against the Buffalo Sabres, my mind turns to this time last year. Our beloved Carolina Hurricanes were in the same spot, also playing Buffalo. Man, what a ride that was. Happily, we went on to the Stanley Cup Finals and won the prized Stanley Cup.

The excitement in the air was palpable and there was a buzz around the entire town. The camaraderie among the fans was amazing and the friends we made during those playoffs are still friends today.

We had a Stanley Cup run in 2002. We made it to the finals that time, too, but every W we tallied seemed to be a fluke. After the back-breaking 3 OT loss against the Red Wings in game 2 of the finals, our Canes just couldn't pull it out.

This time around, though, things were different.

We had the team... we had the spirit... we had the drive. And you could feel it.

I remember each series and each game with certain memories. But regardless of the memory, it is always accompanied by a smile. Tailgating, the Hockey Night in Carolina sign, finding the CBC camera men, the anthems, the game, the feeling in the air, all of it.

We sat with the same folks each game. Getting to know the people around you was great. We even developed a HIGH FIVE routine - from this person behind me, to the person beside me, to this person across the aisle - with every goal scored.

During that final period of Game 7 in the Stanley Cup Finals against the Edmonton Oilers, I don't think I took a breath. OMG - what a stressful 20-minutes. When Justin Williams scored that empty netter, I finally relaxed and the thought finally entered my mind - we could actually win this thing!!!!
Then came the excitement.

WE WON THE STANLEY CUP! THE CAROLINA HURRICANES WON THE STANLEY CUP!

WOW! The RBC Center went MAD. Glenwood South, too. People everywhere. Streets closed. The spirit was amazing and something that I'll never forget.

In a way, I'm a little happy that we didn't make the playoffs this year. How could this run be anything like last year? It can't and it will never be again. That moment in time is etched in my mind and I'm not quite ready to let go of it.

GO SENS!

No comments: